This course leads participants from merely talking about dialectical thought forms to interactively eliciting them through a semi-structured interview and evaluating their use based on relevant fragments from a client interview. The program offers students the opportunity to show themselves and others that they have not only mastered “developmental theory”, but also know how to use it in practice.
For the student, writing a the case study involves:
- Completing a 1-hr semi-structured cognitive interview following the protocol of the “Three Houses” (possibly in a modified form)
- Transcribing the interview(s) into English for discussion in the study cohort
- Selecting 30 structurally relevant fragments of the interview conducted
- Based on these fragments, presenting in class a coding sheet describing how the client’s cognitive profile is to be evaluated, for discussion in the study cohort
- At the end of the course, gathering and submitting all pertinent materials making up the case study to the Director of Education for personal feedback on scoring and focusing of client feedback.