Those interested in dialectical thinking will be pleased to know that Otto Laske’s volume 2 of ‘Measuring Hidden Dimensions’ of 2008 has been thoroughly revised and is in the process of becoming available again in the form of a three-part monograph under the tile of ‘Cognitive Foundations of Requisite Organization’.
The three parts of the monograph are entitled (1) Approaching real-world complexity with dialectical thinking (193 pp), (2) A cognitive theory of work in organizations (214 pp), and (3) A manual of dialectical thought forms (252) — the only one in existence today. The four links at the bottom of the page describe the three parts of the monograph in terms of their structure and content. A comparison between the monograph and other comparable publications written since 2008 shows that many of the topics the book introduced, especially philosophical topics of human flourishing, are still waiting to be addressed. For example, the topic of how Bhaskar’s ontological dialectic relates to the monograph’s epistemological dialectical and what, therefore, might the shortcomings of both types of dialectic, has not been made a topic of research or discussion.
In the meantime, the scope of interest in complex thinking — beyond the mechanics of using thought forms — has broadened. Outside of relating dialectical thinking to work in organizations, a broader, evolutionary, perspective , spearheaded by John Stewart and Lawrence Wollersheim, has emerged. These authors address two capital aspects of human flourishing: (a) self-evolution, and (b) meta-systemic wisdom the core of which is dialectical thinking (see https://www.evolutionarymanifesto.com/SpandaArticle.pdf, by John E. Stewart).
The fact that the first edition of the monograph in 2008 has already made history can be gleaned from the 2023 internet references to the work shown below:
- John Stewart review : https://www.evolutionarymanifesto.com/ReviewofPrimer.pdf
- Lawrence Wollersheim review: https://universespirit-factnet.nationbuilder.com/tags/otto_laske
- Laske 2022 book chapter on integrating of epistemological into Bhaskar’s ontological dialectic: https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/edit/10.4324/9781003140313-7/applying-bhaskar-four-moments-dialectic-reshaping-cognitive-development-social-practice-using-laske-dialectical-thought-form-framework-otto-laske
- On the Dialectical Thought Form Framework (DTF): https://integral-review.org/tag/otto-laske/
- Metathinking Resources: https://metathinking.org/resources/
- On adult development: https://enliveningedge.org/views/adult-development-organizational-growth/
- On developmental coaching: https://instituteofcoaching.org/author/laske-otto
- Otto Laske, CAD Salon 2022 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gZSrQXXZgM
- Twenty Years IDM (2020): https://youtu.be/KrS2nW_AZpc